Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Monday 24 January 2011

** A Late Morning Walk In Halling.**

I took a walk down to the river today, late morning to see what might be around. It was about 11.30am, and the tide was on the turn, coming in.
From home to the river was very quiet, the bird life seems to have hit a lull at the moment.  When I got to the river most of the birds seen was Gulls. Ratio wise they was probably made up of Black Headed(85%), Common(10%), and Herring(5%).
Other species of bird seen on the river, and river banks was Moorhen, Grey Heron, Mallard, Cormorant, Lapwing, Redshank, Carrion Crow. Even the wader count was low compared to previous visits.
There was one new specieson the river today for my Halling Year, and  Month List, and that was 1 Shelduck.
As it wasn't too cold I took a nice long rest at the far end of the railings before checking out the Common.
I was hoping something might show itself while resting, but nothing, still quiet.
Just as I was about to move off I noticed 14 Pied Wagtails feeding on the grass prior to the 1st stile.
As I neared the stile, something happened, a chance in a million, maybe more.A B/H/Gull flew over and crapped, and where did it go......yup on the stile, mainly the upright post, that's the one I sit on to get over, now as it happens I normally have a few tissues with me, lucky I did, I wiped most of it off with some leaves, then used  the tissues. I just couldn't believe it, I had to have a little chuckle to myself.
Anyway onward I went. There is still plenty of berries around but no birds feeding on them. Like Greenie said in his blog, where have the winter Thrush's gone, all I saw was 5 Redwings. The only other species seen was: Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, C/Crow, W/Pigeon, C/Dove, Greenfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Starling, Robin, House Sparrow, Magpie,
About half way up Marsh Road just passed the kissing gate on the right is a field that has been waterlogged since the snow, and I have seen several different species of bird there, this time was no different. I spotted to more species to add to my Halling Year, and January List, they was Song Thrush,and Mistle Thrush.
That  has  brought my Halling Year, and January total to 46.

7 comments:

  1. Things seem to be quiet all round at the moment Ken. You appear to be getting more than I have over the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken, Although things are quiet mate, keep your eyes open on your river section, because I saw 2 Green Sandpipers on the riverbank, opposite the Snodland Church/Train station on Saturday. Although they flew the wrong direction to Halling, you just never know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice day, Ken. It is still too cold to even venture out around here. I keep busy just keeping the bird feeders full now that the deer and squirrels are raiding them. Can't blame them, though; we still have about 15-18 inches of snow cover, so not much food is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken ,
    Just a thought .
    Had you arrived at the stile just a bit earlier , heavens only knows what unusual species might have been seen .
    Keep that list clicking up .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true what they say Ken, sometimes s**t just happens! At least you got a few ticks:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading round the local blogs, things do seem to have gone a little quiet everywhere ken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done with the Shelduck Ken! Up until 2009 I used to get a pair visit Mote Park, but suddenly they've stopped visiting.

    ReplyDelete