Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Thursday 14 April 2016

** A Sunny Trip To Dungeness RSPB Reserve.**

We woke up to lovely sunny day today, and at about 11.30 I asked Pam if she fancied a trip to Dungeness reserve so that I could do a bit of birding, not feeling that great she said she would, bless her. As soon as we started off the temperature was at 15c,  I had a feeling that I wasn't going to need my fleece, and I was right.
From the Visitors Centre I went to the Firth Hide, because I was told that there was a lovely little bird out in front of the hide. I set up my scope , which today I had it on my hide clamp because it was lighter, easier on my shoulder, and it didn't take 5 minutes to see it. The bird in question is a BLACK NECKED GREBE in full breeding plumage, black neck, golden ear tufts, and red eye. Top bird.
Apart from the usual species of bird seen the other species I saw was: LINNET, CETTI'S WARBLER, SEDGE WARBLER, CHIFFCHAFF, REED BUNTING.
From here it was over the road for a hour at the ARC Pit, the temperature was still about 16c, and no wind. On the way out along the track was a small flock of Linnets.
 I thought there might be a few in the hide because there was a couple of cars in the car park, but it was all mine. As usual I sat in Ken's corner. I left my mark there just over 11 years ago,I thought someone would have  scrubbed it out by now, but it is still going strong.
Hopefully it will be there for a long time to come.As soon as I opened the window I heard the squeal of a Water Rail.
Again the birds there was as over the road. There was a good number of Great Crested Grebes partnered up and displaying. It was getting close to packing up time when I saw 9 birds having a wash and brush up, and after a short time they all went up and started feeding from the water's surface, they was COMMON TERNS. It is possible that they have just arrived back from their winter holiday in Africa.
Total list of birds seen: Marsh Harrier, Common Buzzard, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Black Necked Grebe, G/B/B/Gull, L/B/B/Gull, Herring Gull, Common Gull, B/H/Gull, Common Tern, Greylag Geese, Canada Geese, Shelduck, Shoveller, Mallard, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Teal, Wigeon (2 at Denge Marsh) Coot, Moorhen, Little Egret, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, C/Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, C/Dove, W/Pigeon, Blackbird, Starling, Linnet, Chiffchaff, Sedge Warbler, Cetti's Warbler, Great Tit, Chaffinch, House Sparrow.
The camera did get another outing,but no luck today.

My "Bird Of The Day" can only be the  ** BLACK NECKED GREBE.**

No comments:

Post a Comment