Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Friday 6 January 2017

** Thursday & Friday 5th/6th Jan. Garden Birdwatching.**

I have spent the last 2 days doing a bit of garden birding, mainly because I haven't been able to get out and about yet.
DAY 1: Yesterday turned out to be a good day, apart from the usual species, 4 others dropped in to feed, the first was one I expected to see on new years day and that was a Greenfinch,the next one was a SONG THRUSH, then I had my first BLACKCAP, a male drop in to feed on the apples. The last one for yesterday     was a bird that I have only ever had visit when the weather has been bad, and that is a GREY WAGTAIL. No sooner had it landed when it made it's way over to the lumps of fat balls on the ground, after it's first visit it came back most of the afternoon. The other birds for that day was as follows: Blackbird, Starling, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Robin, Dunnock, C/Dove W/Pigeon, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Magpie.
My first Bird Of The Day is the ** GREY WAGTAIL.**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DAY 2: Today started well, while waiting for the kettle to boil I looked out the window and I saw one bird on the hanging feeder, straight away I knew it wasn't a sparrow, it was a male REED BUNTING, the continue of it's wagging tail  gave it away, so if I saw nothing else different I was happy to add another one to my years list. Next job straight after coffee was to top up bird baths and then  the feeders, I should have done it the night before but I forgot. As yesterday and most other days the usual visitors, until 10:40 I had my first PIED WAGTAIL of the year drop in to feed on the same food as the grey wagtail did the day before, and to my surprise I turned to Pam and said " The GREY WAGTAIL is back". I couldn't believe, 2 wagtails feeding in my garden at the same time.
I spent more time watching then I intended to, sometimes it is hard to tear oneself away. I thew some old soaked bread out on the grass after lunch and while watching I saw a few 3 Black Headed Gulls over head, but they didn't want to drop in for any bread, all they did was to circle over head, until later in the afternoon while watching the Grey Wagtail again, which I hope will come back again tomorrow, one brave BLACK HEADED GULL decided to swoop down grab a slice of bread and fly off, that was the last I saw of them, but that wasn't the only birds with their eye on it, I have had magpies in the garden feeding but not a CARRION CROW, I have had them sitting in the tree's before and flying over low but not come in for food, it visited twice all told.
Now for today's Bird Of The Day, that is going to be the CARRION CROW, for coming to feed in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment