Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Friday 1 September 2017

** Twitch To Oare Marsh. Thursday 31st August 2017. **

Today I took a trip to Oare Marsh. to do a twitch. . It isn't something I do very often, I will do it if there is a good bird in Kent. This bird has been there for about 3/4 days, the bird is a juvenile RED NECKED PHALAROPE.  When I got there was quite a few people, as you would expect, but we did get to park just off of the road past the pull in. I walked back up the road a short distance and started looking around with the scope, but I didn't have to look for long, it was straight out in front just past the first island doing what a Phalarope does, swimming quite quickly when it feeds, swimming round and round, and short distances back and forth. I was able to get good views of this bird while the weather was nice, but after a while the heavens opened, when I got in the car it was dry outside the door, and after this short down pour I had a lovely  puddle to walk through to set my scope up again. I did manage to get a couple of record shots of it but not brilliant.
After having good views if it I then started looking around for the LONG BILLED DOWITCHER. It was to the far left with the Lapwing. it also gave great views. I didn't look anywhere else, only on the east flood, there was plenty of waders there, those being:
Avocet.  Redshank. Spotted Redshank.  Golden Plover.  Little Ringed Plover.  Black Tailled Godwit.  Dunlin.  Ruff.
The birds on the flood seen was: Grey Heron.  Cormorant.  B/H/Gull.  Herring Gull.  Common Tern.  Mallard.  Teal.  Shoveller.  Moorhen.  Starling.
My "Bird Of The Day" has to be the ** RED NECKED PHALAROPE **.









3 comments: