Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Monday 10 December 2018

** Dungeness RSPB Reserve & Walland Marsh. **

When Pamela and I arrived at Dungeness RSPB Reserve yesterday lunchtime (Sunday) we couldn't believe how full the car park was, including a coach,and I knew there wasn't a rarity around, what was it, a winter fair, families of all ages, the usual birders, and a coach group of birdwatchers, just what I ordered for the day. I normally never go out at the weekend unless I have no choice. I called in the centre as usual just for a quick chat to see if anything was about but as there wasn't I made my way around to the Denge Marsh Hide. It was comfortable in there, just about 5 of us, God knows where the others were, anyway the sun was shining, but windy. The birds seen from here was many G/C/Grebes, and Cormorants, a G/W/Egret eating a eel, and the highlight was a Bittern flying passed the hide window about 25-30ft out, all of us couldn't believe it. From here Pamela and I went over to the Hanson Hide, Pamela tends to wait for me in the car these days, not that she doesn't still know her birds. When I got in there I found myself birding with about 10 others, and to me that is a lot, not a a crowd person me, but after about 40 minutes I was alone in my corner, I thought it was too good to be true. I knew I would meet up with the coach party at some time, the door opened, and in they come, a never ending stream of bins and scopes, that was my cue to to leave. I heard that that there was 10 BEWICK SWANS  on Walland Marsh so we took a drive through the lanes home, and at about 3.30 as the sun was setting I found them not far from the road with the sun on then, there was 8 adults and 2 juvenile, there was also and probably still is a large flock of FIELDFARE. So overall The birds I saw was not quantity but quality. I look forward to the weather bringing in more of the winter visitors. My "Bird of the Day" was the close fly by of the ** BITTERN **

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you didn't turn right around and leave when you saw how full the carpark was! I'm not a crowd person either, especially when trying to appreciate nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken, We have the same problem at Pulborough. The car park is filled
    with dog walkers and families using the kids recreation centre. I'm afraid the wildlife takes a back seat.

    ReplyDelete