Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Thursday 6 December 2012

** Halling Bird Walk.**

A nice dry day, very cold and sunny made my mind up for me to go out for a wander around . I
I made my way to the river, must as usual I stopped to feed Bailey and Bob, the horses, today it was carrots. There was various species flying about but nothing out of the norm.
The tide was virtually low when I got there. There was a some species on the river and mud banks. They was as following: Lapwing(5)  Redshank(2)  Cormorant(5)  Little Grebe(5, record for me)Grey Heron(1)  Moorhen(4)  Mallard(11)  Mute Swan(2)  G/B/B/Gull(1)  Herring, Black Headed, and Common Gulls(good numbers)

From here I checked out the Halling Common in the hope of finding some winter thrushes. There are berries all over the place, but nothing. There was no need to worry about getting muddy today as with many places the thick sloppy  mud where the cows have wander through at some time was now frozen. I stopped and started all the way, scanning here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. As I neard the bottom of Marsh Rd 2 Green Woodpeckers flew low across the common.
It wasn't until I started to walk up the rd when I saw some winter thrushes. Scattered here and there was a few Redwing mixed in with a small flock of Fieldfare, Than had made my day, knowing that they are back in the area., What's next... Waxwings???? wishful thinking on my part, although your never know, they have to feed somewhere.
Half way up Marsh Rd on the right in a fieldwhere the cattle sometimes feed,well it is now very wet so it is ideal for birds to feed. I stopped to scan it to see if I could add to the days list and I did manage a few, they was as follows: Greylag Geese(2)  Moorhen(2)  mallard(3)  Lapwing(9)  Pheasant (2 at the back of the field)  Pied Wagtail(1).

Back at home after a nice hot drink  I then did a bit of window birding and I didn't have to wait long for the Jay to make a appearance. Most of the usual species was seen. There was another couple of good birds that came to feed, one was the female Brambling, and the other was a male Blackcap.
The Blackcap's normally stay for the winter once they arrive, so hopefully plenty of time to try and get a shot of it.
My home sightings for today was counted as the largest  number seen on one occasion.
Jay(2)  Magpie(1)  Blue Tit(5) Great Tit(1)  Long Tailed Tit(6)  Robin(1)  Dunnock(2)  Blackcap(1)  House Sparrow(18) Greenfinch(4)  Goldfinch(9)  Chaffinch(7)  Brambling(1)  Blackbird(3)  Starling(11)  Collared Dove(8)  Wood Pigeon(1) 


Total species seen: Blackbird, Blackcap, B/H/Gull, Blue Tit, Brambling, C/Crow, Chaffinch,C/Dove, Common Gull, Cormorant, Dunnock, Fieldfare, Goldfinch, G/B/B/Gull, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Green Woodpecker, Grey Heron, Greylag Geese, Herring Gull, H/Sparrow, Jay, Lapwing, Little Grebe, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Pheasant, Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Redwing, Robin, Starling, W/Pigeon,

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you posting again Ken. It sounds like there is plenty to entertain you in the garden when you are unable to get out. The Brambling and Blackcap are lovely Winter visitors which I too see in my garden some years. I am very envious of your Jay, I rarely see them anywhere these days and never in my garden. Well done with the photos of it on the earlier post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice list of birds for a local walk Ken. Hopefully the weather will stay reasonable so we can all get out more!
    Keep watching for those Waxwings.

    ReplyDelete