Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Monday 6 April 2015

** Oare Marsh. 5th April + Harry is back.**

Yesterday, 5th April I went to Oare Marsh with a couple of really good friends of mine. The weather was bright sunshine, but a little breezy. The night before, I checked on line to see if anything out of the ordinary had been seen there,and there had, it was a pair of Garganey, but alas the whole time we was there they never showed. we set up our spotting post in the lay by half way down the road.
There wasn't as many birds there as I thought there might have been, but there was enough to keep me interested. The largest number of birds species was Black Tailed Godwits, followed by Avocets. One of the Avocets had leg rings which was all above the knee. On it's left leg was blue above a green rings and on the right leg was from top to bottom, cream, yellow, orange. I am always curious to find out what I can about ringed birds so I did what I usually do and that is send my sighting to the B.T.O.
About 40 minutes later I had my first sighting of a SWALLOW. It flew across the east scrape heading north east. I also saw my first SKYLARK. Seeing and hearing Skylarks on a sunny day, is a nice thing, I also think it makes you feel good.
Watching the usual species of birds going about their business is always relaxing, then at times something turns up that excites you for a while, and for my friends and I, it was 2 MEDITERRANEAN GULLS. While scanning the water I got to where most of the B/H/Gulls was, and then these 2 birds stood out like a sore thumb, they was both in their full breeding plumage, bright red bill, black head,and broken white eye ring, with the bright sun on them made them look wonderful.
A G/B/B/Gull made a couple of passes over the scrape putting the birds up. I was hoping that it might bring the Garganey out of hiding, but no such luck. The occasional Marsh Harrier made a appearance, and 3 Common Buzzards was soaring together high up in the bright blue sky.
The total species seen was: Canada Geese, Greylag Geese, Cormorant, Mute Swan, G/B/B/Gull, B/H/Gull, Common Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Marsh Harrier, Common Buzzard, Dabchick, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Avocet, Black Tailed Godwit, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Mallard, Teal, Gadwall, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Shoveller, Shelduck, Pintail, Starling, Skylark, Swallow, Magpie, C/Crow, W/Pigeon.
We stayed until about 3.30pm before leaving for home.

            My "Bird of the Day" was  the  **MEDITERRANEAN GULL**.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While writing this post I am happy to say that Harry my Hedgehog is back, it is just outside the french doors, about 2 feet away from me. It made it's first appearance 2 nights ago.
 I am assuming (and hoping) that it is one of the 2 hedgehogs I was feeding last year right up until they hibernated. I have been putting dry meal worms out for about a week now, but now it's back I am feeding my hedgehog Chappie mixed with dry meal worms (only the best for my little friend)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day of birding. Hello to Harry for me ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with the Meds Ken. A great bird!

    ReplyDelete