Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Wednesday 1 April 2015

** Red Kite in Halling **

Today I took a walk down Marsh Road to the river. When I arrived the tide was high so I wasn't expecting to see much on the water. There was only a few birds about, they was Cormorant, Common Gulls, B/H/Gulls, Mallards.
There was more birds in the flooded field on the left going down the road which I checked out on the way back, but the highlight of my day was a bird that had me very very excited, in fact I couldn't wait to tell Pam about it when she came home from town. It has always been my favourite (no1) bird ever since I saw my first one in Wales. As you may have guessed it was the beautiful RED KITE.
I was just approaching the kissing gate at 1:15 when I saw this large bird fly over the salt marsh. I was could see what it was but then when you see something special like this you think to yourself, it can't be, can it? I did managed to get great views of it.
As it passed over the tree's towards the flooded field. I made my way through the gate to scan the area, hoping for another good look at it, but it was now heading in a north easterly direction.
There has been one seen recently up on the north downs, so there is a possibility that it might be the same bird.
I then stopped off at the flood to see the bird there, but all the time thinking about the Kite. There was 4 Shelducks, 4 Gadwall, 5 Moorhen, 1 Coot, 5 Mallard, 1 Grey Heron, and 2 Little Egrets.
So, bright sunshine, nice birds, and a lifer for Halling which was my one hundred and first  species made my day complete.
I have no need to do a Bird of the Day because it is pretty obvious what it would be. I would have to have seen a real rarity to beat the RED KITE but even then I am not so sure it would.
***********
P.S.  Yesterday afternoon I had a male SPARROWHAWK fly in and land on the feeding pole, sitting there with the sun shining on it was a lovely sight to see.

4 comments:

  1. So exciting to see your favorite again, in't it? And in nice sunshine too. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Ken! Have been looking out for one at West Farleigh but no luck so far.
    Osprey seen at Wateringbury just down the road from me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Ken. Snap !! I had my first ever Kent Red Kite fly over my Maidstone garden at 3pm on 31st March. Same bird maybe ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. More to come yet i'm sure Ken!

    ReplyDelete