Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Monday 23 March 2015

** 3 Hour Home Watch. **

This afternoon was beautiful weather so I decided to sit at the kitchen window and see which birds was still coming in to feed.
As usual I would mention all the regular species, but it has now come to the point where I can add a male BLACKCAP to that list, because since it started visiting back before christmas it hasn't stopped returning to feed. It is coming to feed on a fat cake in a bush just 15 feet from the window. A male Great Spotted Woodpecker came to feed on the fat balls and peanuts.The male REED BUNTING is still here, and looking very dapper.
As the afternoon moved on the weather got better, wind dropped, more blue in the sky, and up in the bright blue was 3 COMMON BUZZARDS  enjoying the thermals, and at one point I found myself having to nip out into the garden to watch one of them go over,
The other species that flew over was: C/Crow, B/H/Gull, Common Gull, Herring Gull.

Before I write my days list, yesterday afternoon I was sitting in the lounge when I heard this strange scuffling type noise coming fom the kitchen. I turned around and there was this Long Tailed Tit flapping/hovering at the window and occasionally tapping it with it's feet. As I neared the window it flew off, shortly after it did it again. This left me well puzzled, anyway after I told Pam I put it out of my mind. Today I was sitting on the sofa and  Pam heard a strange noise. She turned around and she saw what was probably the same bird sitting on the window sill. She quickly told me and as I got up it lifted up, fluttered at the window as yesterday then flew off. Will it return tomorrow, watch this space.

My days list is as follows: Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, H/Sparrow,  Reed Bunting, Blackcap, Dunnock, Robin, Starling, Blackbird,  C/Dove, W/Pigeon, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Magpie, C/Crow,  Common Buzzard, B/H/Gull, Herring Gull, Common Gull.

By home birdwatching ** Bird of the day **  has to be the = All singing, all dancing  *** Long Tailed Tit. ***

6 comments:

  1. Nice post Ken, last year I had a LTT doing the same at the windows on our Garage. I discovered it was taking the cobwebs to make a nest .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham N - Ken, we had a similar thing last year with a Male Chaffinch

    ReplyDelete
  3. As suggested Ken, The LT Tits were undoubtedly collecting cobwebs with which to build their nests, i watched them doing it here yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While staying in a cottage in Mull last year we had a similar experience with a cock Pheasant. This one wasn't interested in cobwebs, just food! Previous occupants had obviously been feeding it.
    Great to have a Blackcap to keep you company over the long winter Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definately after cobwebs Ken, it will be back in a few weeks for the spiders to feed its young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys.
    Thanks for that. I never realised that so many of you have experienced a similar thing.

    ReplyDelete