Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Friday 15 January 2021

** HOME BIRD LIST WEEK 2**

 Week two didn't get off to a good start, I did add a few more species to the year list, but seeing one of the 1st species like this was not how I wanted to see it.On the smallish cherry tree in the middle of the garden I have got one of the those square fat cake holders, I have three of them and this one had no top, anyway a  LONG TAILED TIT had gone in through the top to feed and it went further in, and it was so far in it couldn't get back out, so it had to stay in there because it had got itself jammed.I looked from the kitchen window and thought "Great another one for list" But after watching it for a while I realised something was wrong, that's when I had to go out and  force it out, I hate doing things like that.Thank god there was more of them flittering around, I can only assume it happened late afternoon or early morning. I have since devised a top for it so it will not happen again.

The 2nd species I have added to the list is 4 REDWING. I got a small tree at the bottom of the garden, well compared to some tree's it's small. anyway it has got some berries on it and I have been hoping that a member of the thrush family might visit, especially the Redwing, I have had a visitor most winters, but the weather has been worse than this. While looking out the  window late afternoon 4 birds flew in, bigger than the others, and there they was 4 of them feeding on the berries on the tree.

And then we come to the species number 3 and her name is *JET**, and she is a SPARROWHAWK. She is not a one off she is a regular visitor. I named her that because next door has a 6 foot fence, and she comes in low, fast, and she twists and turns. Her favourite spot it sitting on a 5ft flat bush right in front of the feeders where she can see all the other feeders, sometimes she will go and sit on the feeder pole., the last time she came 2 days ago she caught a Sparrow.

My list has now gone up to 22 so I can't see it increasing much, perhaps the odd one here and there.


3 comments:

  1. Thats an exciting garden you have Ken. I am lucky to get the occasional house sparrow. Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter where you live, you never know what might show up, that is why I get so much pleasure out of it. I might sit by the window for a while for a couple of days on and off and see nothing, and then all of a sudden something appears. That's what makes it all worth while to me Mike, and just for a short period takes my mind off of this mess we are in. you stay safe, and keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,pleased you are Blogging again.Your garden list is better than mine.I`m still waiting for my first Blackcap and Reed Bunting,keep safe.

    ReplyDelete