Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Friday 5 February 2021

**HOME BIRDING WEEK 5 **

I thought week 5 was going to start off like week 4 nothing special, but how wrong was I.  The beginning of the week had a few nice days so I had a look out the front, the view from there, looks over the old quarries, and North Downs, not directly, and on one of these days I saw something high soaring around, it was pretty obvious what it was, it was a COMMON BUZZARD, the first one of the year. It has taken a long time to see one they are normally  seen regularly. 

Next came the Big Garden Bird Watch. I was going to do it at about 9ish that's when there is normally more about, but it was raining hard so I waited a while, it did ease off about 11.30 so I did it then. It was still raining but I wasn't waiting any longer, and just as I settled down a JAY was taking some peanuts, what a great start. The other birds I saw on my hour watch was: W/PIGEON=1,  C/DOVE=1, STARLING=4,  H/SPARROW=21,  CHAFFINCH=4,  GOLDFINCH=3,  GREENFINCH=2,  DUNNOCK=2,  PIED WAGTAIL=2,  BLUE TIT=5,  GREAT TIT=1,  BLACKCAP=2=  BLACKBIRD=1.  If it hadn't been raining and I had been able to do the 9oc watch my list would have been a lot better that that.The rest of the week was quiet right up until the last day of week 5( Thursday 4th January) when  I spent a while looking out of the window and to my surprise I had 4 LONG TAILED TITS fly in. Their another bird that was regular but not this year....so far, but I did have 1 really nice bird to finish on. I put meal worms out not too far from the back bedroom window I live in a bungalow, by the way,for the wagtails and the dam starlings came down, anyway while I went from the kitchen to the bedroom to chase them away I saw a bird feeding on the ground up the garden which I would not have seen from the kitchen, and it turned out to be a SONG THRUSH my first of the year, Pam wondered what I was excited about. 

             My garden year list is now ** 24 ** and my year list is now ** 34 **






 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ken,
    I think my year list is under 10 so far. The birds have disappeared from my village, I get more animals in my garden which cimes alive after dark.
    Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete