Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Wednesday 6 February 2013

** Waxwing Sighting In Halling.**

I did a bit of birdwatching this morning while drinking my coffee and apart from the usual birds  feeding I had my first male Siskin that I have had for a long time. I did have a female on New Years Day. I thought that it might be a sign that maybe I should go out for a walk even though there was a lot of rain coming down, heavy at times, besides it gave me a excuse to feed the horses.
Nothing special was seen on the way to the river, but scanning the river I found my first Common Sandpiper of the year which pleased me. The other species seen on the river and river banks was as follows: Mallard(7) Lapwing(5)  Redshank(3)  Moorhen(2)  Cormorant(3)  Common Gull(2)  B/H/Gull(11)  L/B/B/Gull(1)  Reed Bunting(1m)  C/Crow(2)  Starling(4).
When I was leaving  to make my way home I heard the distinctive call of Fieldfares, then a mixed flock of Fieldfares and Redwings, about 30-40 passed close by and headed off in the direction of Halling Common.
Then on my way home I was walking over Vicarage Rd bypass bridge and as I neared the Baptist Church I noticed a small flock of birds at the top of the large tree in front of it. I didn't think anything about it, I thought they was probably Starlings because we have a lot around here. but something made me look again, I don't know why, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, Waxwings 22 of them. I watched them for 20 minutes and then they flew off in a north westerly  direction.
Now it was one of those occasions when I decided not to take my camera due to the weather, you can imagine how I was feeling.
Once back home I did keep scanning the tree's but no sign.
I have been looking everywhere this year hoping to see some, but I kept missing them. Finally catching up with them is great, but to do it on your own patch is terrific.
Before I list my garden birds seen  I had another another nice surprise, at 3.25pm I had a very small party of Fieldfare and Redwing drop in on the tree's at the bottom of the garden, there wa about 11 in all.
Back to my garden list:
Magpie, Jay, Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Blackbird, Starling, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, House Sparrow, Robin(2), Dunnock(2), Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit(5)

Now for my "Bird Of The Day" Well that it a no brainer, it has to be ** Waxwing.**

5 comments:

  1. Well done Ken. Still not on lifetime list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken ,
    Well done with the Waxwings and Winter Thrushes .
    Coincidentaly , my first ever Waxwing sighting was at that same chapel , many years ago .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done Ken! So both you and I thought we were looking at Starlings at first ;-) It sounds like you had a very good day altogether with the Winter Thrushes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done with the Waxwings Ken. Great to get them on your own patch. Make the most of them and the winter thrushes, they will be gone again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the kind of sighting I'm looking out for Ken, nice one mate :-)

    ReplyDelete