Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Fallow Stag, Knowle Park.

Thursday 3 October 2019

** Halling Grazing Marsh and Meadow, or Lakes? **

For anyone who knows Halling, if they was to look at these pictures, they might say to themselves "How long have they had lakes there"? For others who don't know Halling and they come across any pictures like these, they might say to themselves "They have some nice lakes in Halling".
The reason I decided to post this particular one is because of the extremely high tide warnings you hear of, like the one that was given on 29th September on Sunday evening which included the River Medway. The high tide was between 1 and 3 in the morning and the salt marsh and the dyke's just couldn't cope with it. I have lived here for 16 years, and I have seen this area flooded before, but to this extreme.
Fortunately there was no cattle there, but closer to the top of Marsh Road is a small paddock where a local guy lives in his big static caravan, luckily enough he wasn't there, but when he returned he wasn't prepared for what he saw. The tide was high on Monday too which didn't help. It wasn't until Wednesday lunchtime that I took these pictures of the area. I would have took some more from other angles but most of the road is flooded but receding according to a local I spoke to, but for the surrounding fields to drain will take a whole lot longer. The only thing I can hope for is that as it drains it brings in more birds. I was hoping to see a good number of birds on it , but there wasn't that many, all I saw was: 2 Grey Heron, 1 Little Egret, 4 Mallard, 2 Teal, 5 Moorhen, and a large flock of B/H/Gulls and Common Gulls.



1 comment:

  1. That was a bit of an upset Ken. I live on the south downs but according to insurance companies its a bad area for flooding. I have been here 4 years and there has been no problems. Mike.

    ReplyDelete